Artificial turf surfaces are a type of plastic carpet. When playing on the surfaces, the EPDM granulate (the material used for infilled artificial turf) and the synthetic grass fibres are exposed to repeated strain. The mechanical wear from higher tread loads – as created during football or rugby – causes tiny particles or blades of artificial grass to break off. This amounts to 250 to 300 kg per year for modern sports fields. These particles need to be prevented from entering the natural water cycle, and finally the food chain, via rainwater draining off the pitch. Research over the last few years has shown that microplastics, which are now present in large quantities in the world’s oceans, have also already entered our food chain. The health consequences are not yet known. In order to prevent water pollution, the plastic particles must be filtered out of the collected surface water before it is passed on.
Sportfix Clean Drain Filter
This SPORTFIX CLEAN channel filter functions on the principle of surface filtration. It is therefore twice as effective: not only plastic parts are retained on the filter surface, but also pollutants such as heavy metals and hydrocarbons. The system has been shown to work reliably over very long periods.
Long maintenance intervals and simple cleaning are additional benefits. After many years of use, filter cake forms on the surface of the filter. This is stripped off during maintenance and then only the filter substrate that has been removed is replenished.
Drainage channels for artificial turf pitches have to
- offer reliable drainage and infiltration
- collect all infill material and broken artificial blades of grass (=microplastics) before water is led to a sewer system
Therefore SPORTFIX CLEAN channels are suitable for runoff treatment from artificial turf pitches and:
- comply to German Standard DWA-A-178
- treat 93 % of the total annual runoff covering rainfall
intensities up to 20 l/(s*ha)
- Hockey pitches
- Football pitches
- Rugby pitches
- Leisure sports grounds made of artificial turf
- effective solution for collecting microplastics from artificial turf pitches
- modular system for all demands and applications
- according to regulations of DWA (= German Association of Water)